Today the Twittersphere is celebrating feminism with the #TellAFeministThankYou hashtag. It’s a busy newsfeed filled with the wisdom of women and men. If you slow down the feed long enough it’s a great read.
But it should probably come with a warning: the #TellAFeministThankYou newsfeed is also filled with ignorance and hate. Here is sampling:
- #TellAFeministThankYou for annoying the living daylights out me.
- What does a feminist use as birth control? Her personality. #TellAFeministThankYou
- #TellAFeministThankYou for ruining what truly constitutes a feminine person.
- #TellAFeministThankYou for brainwashing an entire generation into feeling guilty about biological imperatives.
- Get me a #Beer and make me a #Sandwich #thanks #TellAFeministThankYou
- #TellAFeministThankYou for killing children in the name of “choice”
- #TellAFeministThankYou for ruining the traditional ideals & values of family.
- Has anybody noticed that feminists are always the ugly bitches? #TellAFeministThankYou
And people wonder why the fight for equality continues. I know you would agree when I say I can’t believe we’re still debating this shit. Hell, violence against women being discussed like there is a grey area!
I once wrote:
“Feminists do not speak with a single voice. Feminists have degrees of passion. Feminists are shaped by their experiences. Feminists have been victims. Feminists have been advocates. Feminists are mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives. Feminists are fathers, sons, brothers, and husbands. Feminists are gay, straight, lesbian, and transgender. Feminists are politically liberal. Feminists are political conservatives. Feminists wear dresses. Feminists eschew heels. Feminists embrace that which makes them women. Feminists believe they are more than the sum of their body parts. Feminists believe we have the right to feel and be worthy without augmentation and mutilation. Feminists believe no person should be held above another. Feminists know all people have the equal right to feel and be safe. Feminists know each of us has the equal right to life, liberty and, the pursuit of happiness.”
To all my feminist friends I say thank you, and I’ll see you on the front lines they continue to draw.